Perfect Friday Night Supper

I love my job.. there's no doubt about it.   I've done many things in my life and as a great believer of reinventing yourself every few years, I can safely say, that as long as the committee will have me, I can see this being the job I'm in for the longest.   I sometimes dream of not having to work, but I actually think I would get bored quite quickly.   I'm not really one for hobbies and although I like to bake, I do that as a treat and therefore, being time poor sometimes serves to highlight what you love spending your time on.

Maybe this is why we all love Friday nights so much.    The shop is a buzz from school kicking out time until we close with kids celebrating the end of the week along with the adults. 

Friday supper has a lot of criteria to fill in order to tick all of my boxes.   It has to be quick... it's still a working day, after all and the slow weekend pace has yet to kick in.   It has to be different.. something about it has to stand out from Monday - Thursday.   It has to say 'WHOO HOO!  It's the weekend!!'    This either means it has to be decadent or naughty (crickey, that may give you a slightly too clearer view into my physhe).     Last Friday we went for Chicken Nacho's and I have to say, they were fabulous!!  Slightly trash food, but made from scratch so not too bad; you eat it without cutlery which always makes it less formal and it's bottom layer is Doritos and the top layer melted cheese with chicken and bacon in between.    Lush!    Mr M is a jalapeno type of guy and I'm not, so we did a half and half thing to avoid any disappointments.   I also made our own guacamole which is nice but to be perfectly honest the one in the shop is equally good.

I haven't put amounts in the ingredients list as I have no idea how many you're cooking for and it's one of those dishes that you could shove anything in and it would be fine - as long as you don't make the mixture too wet.


Guacamole

Avocado
Splash of white wine vinegar
Chopped cherry tomatoes
Sprinkle of crushed chillies

Mash the avocado and mix in the rest.   Simple.

Chicken Nacho's

Ingredients:

Chopped onion
Sliced chorizo
Diced pancetta
Chicken breasts cut into bite sized chunks
Olive oil
Paprika
Crushed garlic
Mozzarella
Jalapenos
Doritos
Parmesan
Cheddar
Guacamole (or see above for homemade)
Creme Friashe

1.   Heat oven to around 200 degrees.  Heat a splosh of olive oil in a large frying pan and add the onion, diced pancetta and chorizo.   Cook over a medium/high heat for 5 mins or so until the onion is nice and soft and the chorizo has released it's oil.   

2.   Add the chicken and brown well.   Add a teaspoon of paprika and the garlic and cook over a medium heat for 10 mins or until the chicken is cooked through.

3.   Tear of little bits of the mozzarella and add to the chicken mixture.   Leave for a minute or so for the mozzarella to melt a little.

4.   Put a layer of Dorito crisps in the bottom of a baking dish.   Add the chicken mixture on top and then add grated parmesan, more bits of mozzarella and grated cheddar.   Add jalapenos if you wish.

5.   Put the whole dish in a hot oven and leave for 5 mins or so until the cheese on top is bubbling and golden.

6.   Serve with the guacamole and creme fraishe along with a green salad if you want but a cold beer or glass of wine is compulsory (if you are over the age of 18!).

The weekend is here!!



Comments