1st October - Spaghetti Bolognese

Spaghetti Bolognese....Not very imaginative, I grant you.   But a crowd pleaser non the less.    I would not be so presumptuous to lay down a Bolognese recipe here.. everyone has there own take on the dish and as a staple in British households since the 70's I know you have this down pat.   However, we all have our little additions to make it unique.   Mine are listed below. 

As for the garlic bread, I cheated a little as I already had some bread dough I had made a couple of weeks ago in the freezer so I pulled that out and let it defrost.   Mixed up some butter, garlic and herbs, rolled out the dough, smeered the butter mixture all over it, rolled it up and shoved it in the oven... delicious.   And, yes, before you all hold your hands up in horror.. when I made the dough I brought all the ingredients from the shop.   Bread flour, dried yeast, salt and a touch of olive oil.

Tweeks to a Spag Bol:

1.  Gently sautee a finely chopped carrot, onion and some celery in a massive knob of butter and some olive oil so that they go all golden and creamy.

2.  Add loads of stock at the stock stage, go big, so it's like a mince soup and then leave on a really low heat for a good few hours to reduce right down.

3.  Once reduced, take off the heat and add a couple of healthy spoonfuls of double cream

This was all rounded off with a bottle of red wine.   As we had a friend staying this turned into an opportunity to compare two of our wines from the shop.   Both Berry Bros.. one a Malbec and the other a new Pinot Noir.   I have to say, my favourite was the Malbec, but then it's all down to personal taste.




Comments