Mozzarella and Pesto Toastie

This evening a lady came in the shop and purchased one of our pizzas.   She told me she was home alone this evening and she was going to settle down in front of the fire with a good film, pizza and a glass of wine.... it sounded like heaven to me and one that I would have happily settled for myself apart from the fact that I already had commitments.

Thursday evening is bell ringing practise... I know!   I didn't think I was the Campanology type either!   Just goes to show.   It's actually really good fun and I get to mix with all sorts of people that I wouldn't have otherwise done.  It's also bloody hard!   I thought it would just be pulling a rope and that's it, but there is a lot more to it than that.   Needless to say, I am rubbish at it and by far the worst in the group by long mile but everyone is very patient and kind and if nothing else we have a giggle.  So if, when you next hear the bells, there's one that seems out of time... that's me!

Bell ringing practise means it's a tight turnaround from finishing at the shop at 6.30 to bell practise at 7.30.   Tonight, added with the fact that Mr. M is working late means I'm fending just for myself.   The onslaught of autumn has been particularly brutal this week and I am in the need of something comforting, sumptuous and quick.    I opt for a Mozzarella and Pesto Toastie.   The recipe I get the idea from calls for making your own pesto... but really??  Who can be bothered to do that! 

Whilst the recipe is indeed quick, this is not a toastie you particularly want to rush.   You need to make sure the mozzarella has really melted and the bread nice a crunchy from the egg mixture.   The parma ham is a decadant addition, but not one that is totally necessary.   All the ingredients are from the shop, obviously, and it is quite delicious. 




Mozzarella and Pesto Toastie

Ingredients: 

Butter
Bread
Jar of Pesto
Mozzarella (I also added Port Salut because I chuffing love it but don't think in this instance it made any difference)
Parma Ham
Sunflower Oil
Eggs
Milk

1.   Heat oven to 190 degrees/gas 6. 

2.   Slice four slices of bread and butter them all on one side.   Place them on a board, butter side down and spread each piece with a thin layer of pesto and then with slices of mozzarella and a slice of parma ham.

3.  Sandwich the pieces together so you have two sandwiches. 

4.  Mix 2 eggs and a glug of milk into a shallow, wide bowl and whisk together.   Season the mixture with some black pepper.

5.  Heat a shallow frying pan with a little sunflower oil.   Dip the sandwiches carefully into the egg mixture and then fry, one sandwich at a time, in the frying pan for a couple of mins each side.   Move the sandwiches onto a baking tray.  Whilst the frying pan is still hot, pop a couple of slices of parma ham in to crisp up.

6.  Bake the sandwiches in the oven for a good 10 - 15 mins until the cheese has really melted.   Serve with a dipping pot of pesto and the crispy parma ham on top.




Comments