Bacon Sarnie and Rack of Hoggett

It's Wednesday already... I don't quite know how that happened.    Last I looked it was the weekend and life was slow and relaxed.   The week since then has been manic in comparison, chocca full with meetings, training courses and trade shows.   This topped with the fact that I am going away with some very old girlfriends for a few days makes the week more jammed packed.    All this preamble is leading up to an excuse..   So far, since Monday, I haven't actually cooked a meal.   I know, it's not great planning or a good example of domestic Goddess-iry (I'm not sure there is such a word, but if there isn't, there is now) but it's just how this week has panned out.    So instead, I am going to wax lyrical about what we cooked and ate from the shop at the weekend.

I'm sure it won't have passed the attention of many of you that the Rugby World Cup is on.    As it's hosted by Japan this time the matches are mainly in the morning which, I have to say, I am quite liking.   Curled up on the sofa in my PJ's with a cuppa and a bacon sarnie is just as good, if not better, than being crammed in a bar of a pub somewhere with lots of men shouting quite loudly and having to drink pints of lager to feel part of the occasion.    So that's what we had on Saturday morning.   Beautiful bacon from the lovely Martin Martindale at Greenfields Pork, fried gently in a dry frying pan until beautifully crisp and then laid gently upon Philadelphia ladened toasted bagels.. LUSH!!   All washed down with about three mugs of tea.




Once the rugby had finished it was day consisting of painting our stairs and mowing the lawn, for what we hope to be the last time this year... global warming has a lot to answer for.    Which meant that we felt the need for something moderately substantial for supper.    Oaktracks, a wonderful smallholding in Charlton had just delivered some hoggett to the shop.   Hoggett is basically meat which is too old to be called Lamb and too young to be called Mutton.   We decided to roast a rack of hoggett on a bed of crushed roasted potatoes and cherry tomatoes.    Delicious! 




Comments